I come from an extremely eclectic background, as do many hypnotherapists. I first qualified as a therapist in 1989 and was almost instantaneously successful – for the first time in my life, in fact, because before that I was what can be best described as a serial poor-achiever, in spite of monumental efforts.
My previous efforts included: TV engineer, electronics design, tailor, carpet-layer, computer programmer, furniture shop assistant, factory hand, salesman (fire extinguishers and alarms) and part time rock ‘n’ roller (lead guitar)… some of those ‘callings’ overlapping with my life as a professional ballroom and latin-american dancer, running my own school for some thirty years.
I discovered the world of hypnotherapy by accident but took to it instantly and at 48 years old suddenly realised that I had most definitely found my niche! I had also discovered a great truth:
"You'll never know how you could be if you decide to stay as you are..."
A first in the Profession...
In October 2007 I was privileged to be the first person from any of the psychotherapy-related professions to be achieve the level of ‘MCGI’ – Member of the City and Guilds Institute. This is deemed to be comparable to a British Masters degree.
The MCGI was awarded for my work on the creation and implementation of a specialist hypnotherapist course in psychosexual disorders.
If you wish to read it, you can download my presented thesis as a pdf file (260kb).
I’ve created many therapy courses and concepts but my proudest and most recent is BrainWorking Recursive Therapy® a totally new style of psychotherapy with its roots firmly in the latest discoveries in Neuroscience. There’s never been a more effective or efficient therapy and it’s actually difficult to see how there ever could be!
Current and past memberships
I am proud to be a Freeman of the City of London as well as the following:
I am currently:
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine
- Founder/Chair: Association for Professional Hypnosis & Psychotherapy (Est. 1999)
- Founder/Chair: The National Register of Psychotherapists and Counsellors (Est. 2011)
- Founder/Chair: The British BrainWorking Research Society
- Founder/Principal: The Institute of BrainWorking Recursive Therapy
- Founder/Principal: Essex Institute of Clinical Hypnosis (Est. 1999)
- Member: The City & Guilds Institute of London, UK
- Member: The Society of Authors
- Fellow: The National Register of Advanced Hypnotherapists
- Fellow and Senior Clinician: The National Council for Hypnotherapy
- Honorary Member: The Society of Stress Managers
- Fellow: Royal Society for the Promotion of Health
Past memberships include:
- Emeritus Fellow: The Hypnotherapy Society
- Emeritus Fellow: The Counselling and Psychotherapy Society
- Member and Committee Member: The International Association of Hypnoanalysts
- Member: The Professional Hypnotherapists Center (Harley Street, W1)
- Member: The International Stress Managers Association
- Member: The National Council of Psychotherapists until the sudden change of management in 2011/2012 at which time I founded the NRPC
Click the button below to find out more about me and follow my career and development of therapy courses in this timeline.
When I’m not working you can find me relaxing with Julie, my wife and our wonderful dogs, or pottering in the garden or greenhouse.
I also have a life-long interest in photography, especially macro shots and have some wonderful countryside right on my doorstep where I can pursue my hobby.